Thursday, July 08, 2004

Ever Get Lost?

Ok, this blog is quite random, but it might actually prove beneficial to people who travel by car a lot. It is significant to me since I spend a lot of time on the freeway throughout the course of a given year. If you paid close attention in Driver's Ed class, your instructor may have glossed over this information.

There is a very clever numbering system that is used for all Interstate Highways (there is also a similar scheme for US-highways). The system works like this (I'll use Detroit, Michigan as my geographic example):

*Interstate's that run from East to West are even numbered (like I-94 which runs from Detroit through Chicago)
*Interstate's that run from North to South are odd numbered (like I-75 which runs through Detroit all the way down to Florida)
*Interstate's that have three digits and begin with an even number typically run around a major city, and sometimes through the city (like I-275 or I-696 around Detroit)
*Interstate's that have three digits and begin with an odd number are connected to the main (2-digit) Interstate, and typically run through the city (like I-375 which is connected to I-75 and runs into Detroit)
*The last two digits of an Interstate indicate what main Interstate it is a branch of (I-696 is related to I-96, while I-275 and I-375 are related to I-75), which may help one to get back to the main Interstate

So, if you can get a general understanding of how this system is used, then you may be able to find your way around an area that you aren't particularly familiar with (even without the help of a map). In times when I haven't been exactly certain where I am, but know where I need to go, this system has proven extremely beneficial. Hopefully it can do the same for you.

-Maelstrom

For a more in depth explanation, check out this site:
http://www.santacruzpl.org/readyref/files/g-l/hiwaynos.shtml

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, also if you're going from down to up (i.e. earth to space), interstates that have nine digits and begin with imaginary numbers are red. But if you're going from out to in (i.e. the crust to the core), interstates that are googoplex and begin with polynomials are purple. Cheers!