Friday, April 29, 2005

Congratulations!

This weekend marks the ending of much academic stress and the beginning of new lives for many of my friends. A time when the perseverence through "all-niters" will seem like it was worth it. A time when wasting a week of study time away hanging out with friends (which caused the need for the all-niters) will also seem worth it. A time for reflection, a time for celebration, and a time for much joy. It is graduation weekend at my Alma Mater, the University of Michigan.

For me, it is a joyous occasion because I had the opportunity to mentor many of this year's graduates during some part of their collegiate career. And I really hate to sound sappy, but this is the heartfelt truth: I am so proud of so many of them. The torch of social awareness, economic integrity, academic excellence and magnanimous ethics that was once passed to me by my many mentors (whom I greatly appreciate) has been picked up by these fine men and women, and I'm sure they also leave a positive legacy to aspire to.

On various visits back, I had the grand opportunity to watch many of them work in their elements. Some in "oral acrobats," reciting original pristine lines of prose in the form of spoken word. Others displaying great physical endurance and discipline in many forms of dance. And then there are those who turned to service by volunteering in shelters or by raising money for charitable causes. To all of them, the World says "thank you," and I say that I am proud of you.

The one theme in everything, the premise that I enjoy so much, is that each event put on by these graduates was an opportunity for community education and social coalescence. Not a single event was put on just for the heck of it. But whether it was for cultural awareness in the Latino, Asian Pacific American, or Indian American communities, or if it was for awareness surrounding AIDS or Cancer, each event was unifying and educational. We often speak of "giving back to the community." Well, I'm glad to say that these students have already done so, and show no signs of letting up.

Looking back, I can't believe that just one year ago I was at the same point and in the position you are now in. So if I could give any advice, I'd have to say cherish the moment. Graduation is a for real, once in a lifetime event. Even if you obtain an advanced degree later on, it won't be like getting this one. This time you will graduate with people you have laughed with, cried with, and grown with.

So take as many pictures as possible, and take every opportunity you can to spend your final moments on Campus with your friends. Because once it's over, such classic moments will have passed you by. As many pictures as I normally take, I certainly regret that I didn't take more from the Graduation Ceremony, and with my friends who attended with me. However, I do remember, and will always cherish the time I was able to spend with them before, during, and after (even the ensuing weeks) graduation.

Some of you I know are moving on to further your education, some are on the road to marital bliss, yet others have landed a career job. Whatever you do, don't forsake the chances you now have to hang out with friends one last time, to thank Counselor's and Professor's that helped you out, and to honor those in your families that prayed you through. The advanced education is still there, the marriage will be soon on the way, and your job is waiting for you. Don't be in such a rush to get there that you take for granted the ones who helped you make it there.

Though I will not be able to make it back to see you cross that stage (or stand up in mass at the Big House, as it were). I'm glad for the many hours we all spent together learning of each other's cultures and experiences. I'm forever thankful for the multitude of Diag gatherings. And you know I'm grateful for all the Mafia games (even the last one a month ago, which was indeed epic and reminiscent of some of the games 3 and 4 years ago that I met many of you at). I surely look forward to crossing paths with you in the future.

Like a big brother, I certainly speak of each of you with glee, and do walk around with my chest held high because I know there is much more greatness to come.

Enjoy your day, and Congratulations!!!
GO BLUE!!!

-Maelstrom

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good looking D-Boyd, the streets is watching. Holla at ya boy!