Sunday, May 08, 2005

Simply The Best!

So for my first installment in the month of May (sorry to keep you waiting…life’s been rough), I have the esteemed honor of writing about a topic that is dear to all of our hearts: Mother’s!This weekend we celebrate Mother’s Day. Now I know that you’re reading this, and probably thinking to yourself that you have the greatest mom in the World. Unfortunately you’re wrong. I have the World’s greatest Mom, and there’s simply no debate about it. But I’ll get to that in a bit.

Among the many underrated and underpaid positions that exist in the world, being a Mother has to be at the top. Let’s start with 9 months of pregnancy. I couldn’t imagine how difficult that must be. And I’d imagine that the pregnancy isn’t even the most difficult part, but rather the actual process of giving birth has got to be a beast. Then you go from the hospital bed, to the baby bedroom; changing diapers, breastfeeding, long nights rocking the baby to sleep, and a whole bunch of other things that I don’t remember putting my mother through.

And amazingly, in that space of time from the cradle to High School graduation, “mother” has endowed you with all the necessary tools that you need to survive in this world. Undoubtedly “mother” could be synonymous with “sacrifice.” A mother is always concerned with how she can help her progeny succeed in life, and how she can cultivate her child’s skills and abilities. Honestly, just thinking about it, I can’t imagine what a grand undertaking being a mother is. It must be daunting, but I perceive incredibly rewarding as well.

That brings me to the Number One Mother in the World. Mine!!!

Anyone that’s spent an hour with me will testify to my genuine admiration, respect, and love for my mother. She has been the backbone of my family through hard times, the voice of wisdom for her siblings (most of whom are older) in tough situations, and the catalyst for all my success (indeed my siblings success as well). I can’t say enough for how truly amazing she is to me, and how I supremely admire her strength, her quick-wit, and astuteness.

Married at the age of 19, mother of 4 by the age of 32, my mom lost the love of her life, my father, when she was only 38. Nine-years-old at the time, I did not understand the magnitude of what it meant for my mother to lose her husband; not to mention the fact that she was left with four children to raise, including 3 boys.In retrospect, I have an idea of how devastating that must have been (and certainly still is) for her. However, NEVER did my mother let us (my siblings and I) feel that desolation that she must have been feeling in her heart. And in all honesty, I think, had she remarried at that time, we would have held animosity in our hearts over it because we loved our father so much. So keeping silent in that regard, never even bringing another man into the home, my mother charged forward; consistently equipping us with everything that we needed to be successful.

I can imagine that it has been a lonely existence for her in many respects. And I know the course that life has taken for her has been far from easy, but my mother has always had a positive outlook on life, with her faith and trust in God. There were times when I know we barely had anything, but my mother, in her wisdom, was able to stretch a few dollars and make them go a long way. She is amazing.

I do emulate her in many ways. In fact, I wish I could think like her in a lot of ways. Watching her has made me to understand the struggle of women in society, and certainly the struggle of black women in society. I marvel at how many people she knows, from all walks of life, various social backgrounds, all over the country. I honestly believe that everyone from my hometown of nearly 100,000 people either knows her, or is just 1 degree of separation from knowing her. I’m thoroughly glad that she taught me to respect people’s backgrounds, beliefs and convictions.

And it would be a shame for me not to mention the many memorable occurrences in the home. In the kitchen, she could cook up a storm (often with the food she taught us to plant and grow in our garden). When my siblings and I were out of line, she wasn’t afraid to apply the rod of correction. And certainly she worked hard to earn enough money such that we could have everything we needed and many of the things we wanted.

The juggling act that she managed so well is quite amazing. She even found time for each one of her children specifically. I remember for years, every night I would sit beside her bed, and she and I would just talk for two and three hours at a time. Those were precious moments (that she constantly reminds me of, because they don’t happen nearly as often since I’ve moved away).

When I look at my 2 brothers, and see all that they are today, I know my Father would be proud of the job she’s done raising these boys into men. And when I see the precious gem that my sister has become, I know that my mother was the perfect example for her.

Certainly I could write many more volumes on just how excellent a mother my mother is. I will say that I am glad that my mom didn’t take her role as “mother” lightly. Too often people today do. And too often do people engage in sexual behavior which gives rise to motherhood, without considering the magnitude or gravity of what it means to raise a child. Parents should be honored to be parents, and thus respect the role in that manner.

So to all the mothers out there who are living the honored position of Mother. I do commend you and do say to you Happy Mother’s Day.

And to the Number One-bar none-no one else can compare-Mother, my mom, I say Thank You for raising this boy into a man. Happy Mother’s Day, and I love you!

-Maelstrom

No comments: