Saturday, April 02, 2005

Big Ten What?!!!

For much of the NCAA Men’s Basketball season, I’ve watched various commentators and sportswriters from all over the country berate, disrespect, and count out the Big Ten Conference as a legitimate contender come “March Madness.” Although I didn’t believe that the conference was nearly as bad as it was made out to be, I must admit that I too had developed a lack of trust in their ability to contend, save Illinois. Well, don’t look now but we’ve reached the Final Four and half of that Four consists of Big Ten teams. The two “major power conferences,” the Big East and the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC), only landed one team in the Final Four (University of North Carolina from the ACC).

Not only was the Big Ten downed all year, but the ACC was touted as the best conference in the nation. Interesting considering that two ACC teams (NC State, Duke) were taken out of the tourney by Big Ten teams (Wisconsin, Michigan State), and the best team in the ACC (UNC) almost lost to the 3rd best team in the Big Ten (Wisconsin) in the Elite Eight. The Big Ten even handled schools from Power Conferences (like the Pac-10’s Arizona), and teams with storied histories (like Kentucky).

In all honesty, I am incredibly amazed that MSU has made it this far. I had them losing to Syracuse in the 2nd round. But I guess I shouldn’t be too amazed. MSU is coached by easily one of the finest coaches in college basketball, Tom Izzo. They have reached 4 of the last 7 Final Four’s under Izzo and have a team full of experienced seniors. I don’t think that Izzo is given enough credit with respect to what he’s done for the program out of East Lansing, Michigan. If he had the same story, but was coaching at an ACC school like UNC, they would be cast-ironing his likeness into a statue at the State Capitol. So maybe no one should be shocked that Michigan State has found themselves in the Final Four this year.

The University of Illinois has had a near perfect season, yet many contend that if they played in the ACC, they would just be “good.” Well I just don’t get it. Didn’t any of those ACC-biased sportscasters watch the Illini DESTROY the 2nd best (and #1 ranked in the nation at the time) team in the ACC back in December? Many of the commentators say that this was only because Illinois had the homecourt, but I beg to differ. You can only claim homecourt as the decisive advantage when the game is close, as far as I’m concerned. I saw the game and it wasn’t even competitive. Illinois literally had a 30 point lead for most of the 2nd half. Such dominance can only mean better team in my opinion. And did you see that comeback against Arizona last weekend? Simply amazing!

So, although I’ve grown up hating the colors Green and White, and have never really been a fan of “Orange Crush” (because curiously enough, when I bleed the colors are always Maize and Blue), I find it particularly delightful that Illinois and Michigan State are representing the Big Ten in a way that should seriously silence the critics.

I don’t know what this weekend will hold for these squads, although I suspect we’ll see Illinois playing UNC for the championship. Wouldn’t it be great, however, if we had an all Big Ten NCAA championship game? That would show ‘em!

I never thought I’d say this but, “Go Green, Go White” and “Let’s go Orange Crush!”

-Maelstrom

Ps: I’ve got Illinois taking home the big trophy in my bracket!!!

No comments: