Tuesday, June 07, 2005

The Tsunami

It happened without warning; suddenly, violently, and without mercy!

A 40-foot wave. Then another one, and another one. They just kept coming, and there was no end in sight. And it made no sense because the sky was still blue, the sun was still shining, and the day was to die for. And die is exactly what I did. That thing absolutely killed me; everything I was promised, everything I believed, everything I wanted. The Tsunami was absolutely cruel.

The season, the day, it all started out so well too. Sure there were some tremors that should’ve tipped me off that something was up, but they were just tremors, not earthquakes. Plus I knew, I just knew that the Land loved me enough to warn me if a big quake was on the way. I wasn’t ready though. I guess I just didn’t heed the signs or the warnings; none of us did.

So I felt the tremors; 3.2, 4.4, 2.9, as it were. But c’mon now, no one expected a 9.1 on the Richter Scale; did you? And the Wave, the Tsunami, that thing caught me totally off guard. I mean, I Didn’t Fear Water until I Got Flattened by that Wave.

Now I stand here devastated, crushed; unable to believe what I’ve just experienced. But it’s real. Too real. And it hurts.

I certainly do miss it though, the Land. I spent a couple years with the Land, cultivating it, dressing it, loving it. Whatever the Land needed me to do, I was totally willing to oblige. Genuflect in all capacities was I.

I wasn’t alone in that regard. There were a lot of poseurs, but only a few people were there for the Land through it all. We loved that Land so much. Now we are distraught over how the Wave completely changed the Land. It’s as if the Land doesn’t know us anymore. And I know I’ve tried, but I don’t recognize it anymore either.

And it happened so fast!

I always enjoyed the opportunities I had to spend time with the Land. I would drive hundreds of miles, week in and week out, just to see the Land. Visits to its beaches, coastlines, mountains and forests became my top priority. It was so gorgeous. Nothing was more beautiful to me, and memories of it remind me of its supreme splendor.

At the time, neglecting the many vicissitudes of life to travel to the Land was no big deal to me. I mean, the Land filled me with so much joy. Everything I ever wanted was right there. And its scenery was to die for. I loved the tan-brown color of its beaches. I delighted in the trees that lined every inch of land (though trimmed in some areas to help amplify its overall beauty). And its grand mountainous peaks brought me incredible amounts of pleasure and satisfaction time and time again. Ah…to caress those beaches again; to travel through the soft forests like I once did; to kiss those mountaintops as was my ritual. If I could have it all back…it’s like it was all a dream.

In the years prior to my arrival, there were several others who occupied the territory. I wasn’t really keen on what I’d heard about those guys. One in particular just abused the Land. He left some serious scars.

Such great Storms this place had been through. The Land was so beautiful, so innocent, and so deserving of the best too. The thing that I admired most about this Soil was that although many ruthless Storms had ripped through it, and though its occupants weren’t always as kind to it as they should’ve been, the Land constantly recovered. It didn’t just survive, but it always grew into stronger, more alluring acres than before.

I remember when I first arrived. It was as dazzling as ever. I quickly fell in love with it, but I knew I wasn’t entitled to it. There were other occupants already there, and many suitors waiting in the wings. Plus, I knew the requirements and I wasn’t a qualified suitor at all. Plus there were other pieces of land that I was interested in pursuing. But this Land left an indelible etch in my mind. It was so radiant.

Despite my adverse qualifications, I was too enamored with the Land to just sit on the sidelines without embracing it with my Love. At first the Land rejected me. The things I planted there grew, but they didn’t bear fruit. That didn’t stop me though; I kept right on cultivating the soil because it pleased me. I accepted my role as the Land’s most dedicated companion, despite its rejection.

Then one night, something I had planted began to bud. It then blossomed, and two days later, it bore precious fruit. The Land had embraced me, and I reciprocated.

It became the embodiment of everything that I enjoyed. It was the seasoning on my fried chicken, the caramel in my Twix, the music in my head, and the sunshine in my day. Each moment with it was like having dinner with two of your best friends on a beautiful summer night in June on State St., hoping you could do it every year at the same time, in the same place. The Land was my heart.

I spent night and day with the Land. The Land imparted as much to me as I did to it. We laughed together, cried together, matured together. As I lay alongside the Land, rubbing my hands about its magnificent scenery, I would share my deepest, most intimate thoughts and secrets. The Land would reply through a cool breeze that it seemed to conjure.

Every night was a wonder. I caressed the sands of its smooth tan beaches, stroked the curvaceous outlines of its coastlines and kissed the vertices of its mountains, to both our delight. Complete bliss was mine to enjoy. Satisfying the Land satisfied me. Failing to satisfy the Land shamed me. I loved the Land.

But I was never qualified!

To be sure, I relished every minute I spent with the Land, but it was like time was speeding up. Honestly, everytime I looked at my watch, it was like another minute had passed. Clearly, my time with the Land was up.

Why did my lack of qualifications matter all of a sudden?

That’s when the tremors started. I didn’t know what to make of them because it had been some time since this Land was shaken. Apparently I was squatting on someone else’s ground. I tried to figure out what to do, but I just didn’t know. I felt like I deserved the Land. I had been with the Land for years, and the Land loved me.

Then it happened with no warning; suddenly, violently, and without mercy!

THE TSUNAMI STRUCK!

I was a strong fellow, but I was never prepared for the magnitude of what came that day. Everything that I had built on this Land, everything I grew on this Land, and everything that I cultivated on this Land was wiped out. And maybe things would’ve been different if there were a warning, or if it didn’t happen so swiftly, but that Tsunami was so frickin’ fast. I mean, what could I do?

Once the initial blow of the Wave was over, I assessed the damage. There wasn’t much to assess. Everything I knew of the Land seemed to be gone. Its beauty and everything I loved about it was no longer apparent to me. And I realized that although the 40-foot wall of water had subsided, the Tsunami was here to stay. Its effects I will feel forever. Days, weeks, months even, I spent in tears over losing the Land. I mean, it was still there, but it wasn’t the same. It will never be the same.

That treacherous robber, the Tsunami, it changed her; the Land that I once loved. Merciless it was, and unforgiving it continues to be. And just to think that I always “knew” that this Land would always be here for me. I trusted her 100%, and she let me down; with very little concern and not an ounce of compassion.

And it happened so fast!

I still feel the Temblors frequently. All near the original epicenter of the big one, dialing in at 8.9, 5.8, 7.6 on the Richter scale; all strong, but none so deadly as the one that caused the Tsunami.

And the people, I feel sorry for the people; so many hurt people.

I’ve heeded all warnings now, and I know that there are more Temblors to come. But next time I’ll be ready. I’ll be wiser next time. I won’t let that Tsunami get me again. ‘cause I’m stronger too, and I’m a heckuva lot wiser.

But will I ever trust again?

Since the Tsunami hit, I’ve been a nomadic soul. I tried to rebuild on that Land, but that Land is no longer mine to cultivate. Even worse, the Land didn’t love me anymore. The things I used to grow there no longer grew. The tools I used to till the soil with no longer worked there. Every attempt was futile and only brought more questions, more pain, and more hurt. And I do hope that the Land grows more beautiful and stronger than it was before, as it has done in times past. But how can it leave me behind like this? Did my tireless dedication to it mean anything…ANYTHING!???

And I trusted her.

As for me, I spend everyday in deep thought about the Land. Why did God design this mind to care about things that I can’t change or affect? Why am I cursed to care about it when it doesn’t care about me? Why does kindness seem to get you nowhere? I wish I could just shut it off; this cursed mind of mine.

Unfortunately, nearly 6 months since I last laid eyes on that sublime Land, I’m still devastated!

The Tsunami never ended!

-Maelstrom

No comments: