Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Happy Anniversary :-)

Yay! We made it! Aren’t you excited?!!!

Well you should be!

Today marks the 1 year anniversary of the launch of The Vortex. I know, I know, it’s only a year, but let me tell you, it’s been a struggle. I mean, there have been countless other blog-sites that have suffered early demises; some a few months, some a few weeks, and some are only host to a handful of posts total. So I count myself lucky to have been able to keep this site fluid for an entire year.

And yes, I too have considered just ending it. I mean, many, many times as I write I ask myself, “Why am I doing this…is anyone even reading what I write?” But I keep writing; I mean I have SO much on my mind just screaming to get out. And although no one seems to want to leave comments at the bottom of each post (even though I would absolutely love it), I do receive emails, IM’s, and the occasional verbal reinforcement that encourage me to continue.

Recognizing the anniversary, I actually went back and read my first post here at The Vortex, along with several other blogs that I posted throughout the year (and you should go back and read some too). I must say that I was pretty impressed with some of my remarks, arguments and thought processes (it's the anniversary, I'm allowed to toot my own horn today). At the same time, I noticed some things I could certainly improve upon as far as substance and grammar. I realized that sometimes, when, I, write, I, use, too, many, commas. I also (sometimes get (carried (away (with parentheses.)))) And there are number of other things I noticed that I can hopefully polish in the future.

In my opening blog, I promised to be honest, candid and to present well thought out ideas and opinions whether or not I was “right.” One goal was also to post at least 2 posts a week. Well, I have been completely honest, and I always try to think each post through before posting it. The vast majority of the weblogs I’ve posted here have been through multiple drafts. Indeed, I have written countless posts that have never made it to the site (either because I didn’t like what I had written, or by the time I finished it the topic was no longer relevant). As for averaging 2 posts a week, I’m short by 16 (that means I’ve posted 88 including this one). That’s pretty darn good though, don’t you think?

In requiem, I must admit that it’s been a tumultuous year to say the least. I mean, when I started this site I was in the midst of the greatest summer of my life. In fact, part of the reason I launched the site was because things were going so well for me, and at least one good friend heavily encouraged me to charge forward with it (I had considered launching a site for several weeks).

One year later I must admit that my blue skies have turned mighty gray. If it is at all possible to have the best and the worst year of your life all in the same year, then that has been the last 365 days for me. This day last year, you could have never told me that this year would’ve played out the way that it did. Maybe I should’ve known the cloudy days were coming once my car broke down in the middle of Detroit, while en route to the annual fireworks show there, the day after launching this site.

Be that as it may, I have learned a lot. I’m now 8,760 hours wiser. And no matter what happens, life goes on. What can you do?

So, back to the previous blogs I’ve written and the many assertions I’ve made since the beginning of last summer. I predicted that Tony Blair wouldn’t be re-elected in Great Britain, “opinioned” that the Iraqi Elections in January would be a bloodbath, and recently figured the Pistons to beat the Spurs in 6 games in the NBA Finals.

Clearly I was wrong on all three accounts.

Although Blair was re-elected (something I don’t understand) his Labour Party lost several seats in the British Parliament. Gladly the violence during the Iraqi Elections was far less than anyone imagined, even though it has definitely re-escalated in the last few months. And I’ll take the Pistons in 7 any day (Deeeeeeetroit Basketbaaaaaaaall)!

As for future insight, I am still troubled by the prevalence of guns in this country, I’ve been intending to write about the worldwide geological shakiness of late (I mean, there have even been multiple earthquakes in Kentucky), and there are many celestial events to take note of (including a very special and rare look at the planet Mars coming up in August). So hopefully I’ll get around to each of those topics among other things.

Finally, I’d like to say thanks to all that read this site. I truly appreciate it more than you know. I am grateful for all the many kind comments I’ve received from various people about the topics I discuss and the angle I provide. And even the short comments that simply express that you read the site are well valued too.

But…

…can you do me a huge favor?

If you read this post, can you leave a short comment at the end (there’s directions about how in the margin) to help me start off this next year of blogs with a bang. If you’ve ever read anything here that you find interesting, encouraging, informative, or that you just liked, feel free to leave an extended comment and let me know about it. Basically, show Maelstrom some love. That means you…anyone…everyone…just drop me a line!

I Love You All,
Maelstrom

Ps: shout out to one of my lil sisters whom I just learned reads the site as well (you know who you are)…thanx…smooches!

Pss (or Pps or however it goes): wouldn't it be cool if everyone that reads and enjoys this site would put a link to The Vortex in their Instant Messenger profile?!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

you can start off the big bang of your next blog by writing about the PISTONS VICTORY!!!!!!!...because yes...they WILL WIN...:)

Anonymous said...

Great site! Hard hitting, buffalo-style journalism at its finest! Seriously though, it's nice to see somebody wrestling with these issues as much as I do. Besides, honest opinions on tough topics are just plain fun to read. Keep up the good work!
-go

Anonymous said...

hey!! it's the lil sis that you gave a shout-out to!! :) i think that's the first time ever that ive had a shout-out on a real website hehe im a lil too excited...i think that one of your next topics should be when we win the title AGAIN...stay true to ur detroit boyz!! we here in michigan miss u :(

Anonymous said...

QUIT DELETING MY POSTS THEN YOU WOULDNT HAVE TO BEG FOR PEOPLE TO LEAVE YOU FEEDBACK!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! May there be many more to come :)

Anonymous said...

So, first I would like to say I'm sorry that the pistons lost...I was actually rooting for the boys in blue even though they're not from the Chi...I know you're prolly hurtin from the loss, but cheer up! Onward and upward and so forth. That said, CONGRATS on your blogging anniversary! As a kindred spirit in writing and cultural commentary, it is refreshing to see that even in rough times, you are steadfast in your passion to bring light to the masses. And you know, keepin it real. Gully. :) The pen, uh, keyboard will always be mightier than the sword. Keep burning that midnight oil, D!!
Besos,
The Dime from the Chi