Thursday, February 17, 2005

The Reality

To Oz1310, your comments (see 1/24 post "They Do Still Exist") made me feel like an RA again. They certainly warrant a response and a deeper look. So, I will directly address your questions, but will also expand accordingly.

Before I begin, I think it is important for me to once again reiterate that I consider myself to be a realist striving towards optimistic ends. That means I work towards and believe that the best scenario is possible, but I accept things for what they are and not for what they could be/could’ve been.

Potentially, the world is a nice place, and the United States can provide the “American Dream” for anyone that works toward it. Likewise, people are potentially as kind and helpful as we’d wish each other to be. Realistically, however, things just aren’t always so. I mean, can you explain to me why in the world one human being would murder, rape or torture another human being? And I know those are some of the extremes, but I often find the “little things” incredibly insidious as well. Sometimes a “little white lie” can ruin a whole bunch of lives.

Working off of potential gets so many people in trouble so often. It is probably the biggest reason why women get their feelings hurt by men. “He’s already overcome so much in his life,” they’ll say, “and I know he’s not exactly what I want him to be right now, but I know he can become much better. I think I can help him reach that potential (i.e. change him).” It’s why so many NBA teams are suffering right now. It amazes me that each year now, team after team gambles on an untested High School Basketball player to make it in the pros. Last year, the National College player of the year didn’t get drafted until 19th, and some stupid team took a High Schooler that played the same position over him.

The optimist in me has seen and knows that a man can change to actually be a great human being, and be all that his lady would like him to be. However, the realist in me knows that reality is by far the exception and not the rule. The optimist in me knows that High Schoolers can make it in the Pros, but the realist in me realizes that there have only been about 7 High Schoolers to do it in the 50+ years of the NBA’s existence.

With that in mind, and with respect to your comments, I’d have to say that the world is most often a cruel place. People just don’t seem to care anymore, and sometimes I wonder if they ever did.

Why is the world so cruel?

I think it is a combination of a few things. To start, people don’t love or respect or value themselves. And if you can’t value who you are as a person, or believe that you can be a better person tomorrow than you are today, then I can’t expect you to respect me.

I’ll make this analogy: If my car is brand new, but I carelessly scratch it up and abuse it, I’m less likely to care if I crash my car into yours no matter how new your car is. Why? Because my car is already messed up so I don’t really see this “little” accident as that detrimental to me. And, while I’m at it, you can deal with a little scratch here and there on your car too! What makes your car so special?

And that’s how people treat themselves and each other, like they are jacked up cars that don’t mind adding a flat tire to yours.

The problem is that I could be trying to keep my car in mint condition or I could be on my way to the car shop to get my car fixed (i.e. turning my life around) when you decided to not care about my car and crash into it? Have you thought about what it took for me to admit my car needed a tune-up (i.e. that I am finally taking responsibility for the mistakes in life that I made or moving forward from the hurt that others inflicted on me)? And do you know how much it costs to get a car fixed (i.e. how hard it is to mend broken bridges, break bad habits, or even gain confidence in myself)? And you aren’t going to take any of that into consideration???

Furthermore, a person that is trying to keep their car in mint condition WON’T crash their car into yours. Why? Because they value their car (i.e. their life/humanity/existence) and therefore respect yours (they wouldn't dare mess up your car, because they don't want to mess up their car in the process...i.e. each person is connected and by hurting you, they'd also be hurting themselves).

And that’s my point; people just don’t value their cars (lives) like they should, and so they often won’t value yours.

So when did I begin to think like this you ask? Years and years ago. But I've often fought it by pacifying myself with adages like "everything happens for a reason," or "you'll be a better person because of it later." We all do it, but the problem is that I've got eyes too, and I realize that too often "crime does pay," and "cheaters do prosper," often to little consequence, if any at all. So, especially in recent months, the culmination of all that I've witnessed and experienced outweighed the nostalgic glow of sentimental sayings.

Then again, what do I know? I've only walked this planet for just over 2 decades. Maybe those old people (that I'm so jealous of) know things that I don't know. Maybe there is a purpose for the sad realities of this world that I witness. But there I go again striving for that optimistic potential!

I’ve written too much for today, so I’ll stop here for now, plus I've got a killer exam tomorrow (now there's something you can look forward too in continuing your education). I’ll complete my thoughts tomorrow, but hopefully you’ve got something to ponder until then.

-Maelstrom

No comments: