Monday, February 14, 2005

"Hitch"

So, I ended my hiatus from the movie theatre this past week and saw 3 movies: “Hide and Seek,” “Hotel Rwanda,” and “Hitch.” I enjoyed each of them (though “Hide and Seek” just pacified my desire to see a “scary” movie…it was alright). Don Cheadle delivered another Beastie performance in “Hotel Rwanda,” and I’m not just saying that because he’s my favorite actor (honestly, cop the album…I mean, see the movie). But I must say, I was pleasantly delighted with the last movie I saw, “Hitch.” This movie had the perfect blend of both humor and sentimentality with a touch of grace throughout. I mean, everything worked, even the subtleties that maybe only I was paying attention to.

The movie stars Will Smith and Eva Mendes as the main protagonists, along with Kevin James. Smith plays a "Love Doctor" who seeks to help guys get with the girl they love (James happens to be a client). Mendes plays a hardworking, no-nonsense newspaper reporter who has a practical, but cynical view of men. Ok, so it sounds like it’s been done before (and it has), but there are enough twists to make you forget about the sappy movies that Valentine's weekend typically pumps out.

Albert Brenneman (James) enlists the help of Hitch (Smith) in order to win the heart of a very wealthy, yet very attractive Allegra Cole (played by Amber Valetta). Brenneman is a little bit of an unkempt guy that could use some direction when it comes to the ladies. James (of "King of Queens" fame) delivers a great performance in this role, adding great seriousness to a naturally hilarious character.

Hitch is a guy that takes his "consulting job" very seriously. He is incredibly successful when it comes to advice, and he uses what he knows about love to his own personal advantage, but has no specific lady to call his own. One night in a bar, he happens upon a dashingly beautiful Sara Melas played by Mendes. She's heard all the pathetic pick-up lines, but is mildly impressed by Hitch who seems to know that she knows them all, and offers a different angle.

Somehow the two major plots (Brenneman/Cole and Hitch/Melas) get intertwined with Hitch being the common link. And that's all I'll tell about the flick because I don't want to ruin it for you anymore than I probably already have.

So, what did I like?

Smith and Mendes were great as a 1-2 duo. I wouldn't mind seeing another movie starring just those two. They were awesome together. The chemistry between James’ and Smith's characters is great as well.

It also isn't lost on me that the two lead roles were minorities (Mendes is Cuban-American and Smith is African-American), but you never even think about their potential interracial relationship, or about their minority status. That reality wasn't even made an issue in the movie, whereas in most movies that star minorities you'd hear some loudly noticeable declaration of racial differences/similarities. Their acting was incredibly transparent.

And fellas, Eva Mendes is gorgeous. She was so sizzling hot throughout the whole movie that I actually sensed her pheromones emanating directly from her radiant beauty through the camera, by way of the movie screen, directly to me. Whether she was mildly disheveled, wearing glasses, at work, or out on the town, she exuded sexiness. But I was even more impressed by the performance she delivered. It was her first leading role (she normally gets "ghetto girl" bit parts or much smaller supporting roles) and she did not disappoint. I believe she proved that she can truly act, whereas before I wasn't so sure. Hopefully her performance in "Hitch" will open up opportunities for her to have even bigger roles.

And ladies, don't worry, you've got Will Smith. This role was more of a throwback to his "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" days, instead of some of the more serious roles that he’s played in movies like "Ali" and "I, Robot." And no, you don't get to see his bare body like you did in "I, Robot" ladies, but his muscles were well on display through his series of short-sleeved, clingy shirts.

The music throughout the movie was on point. There were revamped hip-hop tracks, smooth latin grooves, and much more. I was particularly impressed by the number I heard in the background when Mendes’ and Smith's characters were playing out on the water on Jet Ski’s. I thought I was the only one paying attention to how great that song was, but after the movie, one of my friends that I saw the movie with (who is an incredibly accomplished musician) asked me "did you hear that one track when…," and I was like “yeah, that was tight.” I do hope they make a soundtrack.

The pacing of the movie was also great. The writer's didn't go overboard with the comedy (there was no silly slapstick), and even the clips that I'd seen before the movie from commercials were still funny at the theatre. The slow paced moments in the movie often offered great peeks into the strange realities of guy/girl relationships (ie, the hurts, the questions, the uncertainties, and the nostalgia).

In all fairness, the ending may have been drawn out 3 minutes and 27 seconds too long, but overall I thought the movie was great. And trust me on this one because I'm definitely not into the whole "relationship, love, romantic-comedy, blah blah blah" thing right now.

Fellas, even if you forgot to plan something spectacular for your lady after the big Valentine’s dinner tonight, and you’re worried that “dinner and movie” is too overdone, you may be able to get away with it just this one time. I think your lady friend would find this movie quite enjoyable. Now what you do after is your business.

So go see it, go check out "Hitch."

-Maelstrom

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitely agree. Hitch was a wonderful movie. Will, Eva, and James did a great job. I'll co-sign on this promotional blog and say go see it. In fact, I might go see it again! Who's down for the movies tonight?!

Anonymous said...

Darryl Boyd, is that you? It must be! You probably don't remember me, but we had chem class together in high school. This is Mohammed. I ran into your profile through some other people...what a small world! so, how you been?

Anonymous said...

thanks for the info