Thursday, December 02, 2004

This 'n' That

Wow...there's just so much to write about, and so many topics to get around to. Unfortunately, I regret that I probably won't be able to fully spend my time on all of them, but hopefully I get around to most of them. Seriously, we've got a messed up Ukraine election, the US telling the UN what it should do with its Secretary General, Ken Jennings amazing Jeopardy run coming to an end (a topic that I must pay homage to), should Weed be legal, and many more. However, since I know that I can't focus my attention on any of those topics today (I have a very huge and difficult homework assignment to finish by 3:30 tomorrow), I've decided just to spew out some random thoughts from my head. Is that ok with you???

Ready or not, here I go!

So Monday, I walked outside to catch the bus like I do every morning. However, it was quite sunny outside, and I looked up and noticed a rather large, half-lit rock just floating there in the air. It appeared to be stationary, and for some reason its presence didn't startle me at all. To be sure, the Moon has been there all of my life, so I guess it shouldn't startle me, but I do find it a little strange that there's a massive rock that just rotates around the Earth, and we just accept its existence.

Over the last couple weeks, I've noted to my friends how strange it is that when someone sneezes, no matter how quaint or how violent, we say "God bless you" (or "gezundheit" or "salud"...), but if someone coughs we say nothing. I mean seriously, I've seen people virtually cough their lungs out and not even a peep of concern out of the viewing audience. What's up with that???

Now, I know this all seems really random to you at this point, but you must understand that I am a person who questions virtually everything around me. And if something exists around me that I haven't questioned yet, don't worry, I'll get around to it. I've learned that tough times (either sad, angry or just bored) often makes us curious as to why they happened, and happy times need no explanation...they just are. But even in those cases I still find myself questioning "why was I so happy?" Despite my inquisitive nature, i Don't Feel Wonderment is Good For every situation. Sometimes we just have to let go and move on, no matter how hard that is to do. That may be why, in fact, we don't question the happy times as much. Because why ruin such a good thing by trying to rationalize its occurrence? However, this next "randomness" has to be questioned.

I was sitting in a staff meeting yesterday, half-paying attention, and watching this girl across the room who was nodding off. I mean, she was really getting a beastie little nap in during the meeting. Well, when she finally "came to," she began doing something that I just consider very inappropriate. I watched her raise her left hand, and focus her left pinky finger on the left nostril of her nose. She proceeded to dig out something from there, and then to add levels of vulgarity to the situation, she pulled it out and put it in her mouth. She then "washed, rinsed, and repeated" the whole process a few more times. Why?

Finally, I'm just now getting settled into my new surroundings and my apartment, despite moving in almost four months ago. So, I'm at the point now where the real last big move-in step will be hanging posters, paintings and mirrors on my walls. Well, wouldn't ya know, all of a sudden, Monday night this maintainance guy comes by and tells me that there's water in my heating vents. I questioned this because I had no indication of it, and when he got there he didn't hear anything suggesting that there was water in my heating vents at all (although in retrospect, I did notice that my apartment was humid whenever I'd come in from outside). So, I dismissed him, and he left. Well, it just so happened that the next night, I heard gurgling in my heating vents, and eventually water came splashing out of at least one of them. I told my landlord, and they told me that they didn't know why this was happening, but if they couldn't fix it, they'd have to move me. So, yesterday the guy came back, drained my vents, and the gurgling subsided. A few hours later, it was back. So, it looks like I'll have to pull my shallow roots out of this apartment and make the treacherous transition to another one. A task that will be monumentally taxing, even if they only move me upstairs.

So to all of this, I have to ask the question that I've often asked myself throughout the course of my life; a question that seems far more relevant given all that's going on in my life right now:

Why???
-Maelstrom

No comments: