Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The Oscars

So now that the movie awards season is upon us, I’d like to weigh in with my opinion on the best movie of 2005.

Crash
was by far the best movie of 2005. The social issues addressed in that film, the way it was put together, the use of each actor/actress (whether A-list or not) was phenomenal. And the point(s) made were incredible. Honestly, if you have saw it and left the theatre without having your eyes opened to many social realities or you left without feeling that several social disparities were highlighted and well represented, then you suck as a human being. And I mean that. You should have your living soul card revoked.

And once again, these Awards shows have overlooked the best of the pack in favor of several movies that most people hadn’t seen until after Hollywood hyped them up for some Hollywood contrived reason. For example, Brokeback Mountain and Capote. Now I’ll admit it, I haven’t seen either, but I also know that most people hadn’t seen either until after the Golden Globes last week (based on the ticket sales numbers). So my question is, how are these movies even nominated for these awards without the public seeing them, much less winning these awards?

Finally, I must say that I really disdain the Academy Awards (which largely mirror the aforementioned Golden Globes). Most of the movies that I’ve seen because they won an Oscar, have been “alright” at best. I saw Lost in Translation, American Beauty, Sideways, and I even saw Traffic on opening night. Although none of these movies was bad, I am at a loss when it comes to explaining how they received the acclaim that they did. And it is unthinkable that these movies can even get double digit nominations for Oscars (as Traffic and American Beauty did, if I'm not mistaken).

I sat through “Translation,” Sideways and Traffic waiting for something to happen, and nothing materialized. And I don’t think the subject matter covered in American Beauty had a major bearing on the large cross-section of American lives. All I saw was a movie about screwed up suburbia that ended with Kevin Spacey dreaming about trees, while his head lay in a pool of blood, sporting a bittersweet smile.

Unlike American Beauty, the issues raised in Crash affect us all. And they even addressed them from a plethora of angles; law enforcement, public servant, language, immigrant, rich and privileged, poor and disenfranchised, political, and all sorts of race/ethnicity angles.

And I’m not just touting this movie because my absolute favorite actor (Don Cheadle) is in it. Honestly, each roll fit well with every other roll. Cheadle doesn’t deserve an Oscar any more than Jennifer Esposito; Sandra Bullock doesn’t deserve an Oscar any more than Ludacris. It was that well done. I’m not asking for individual accolades this time, as far as the actors are concerned. I am asking for Best Screenplay or Script. I am asking for Best Cast or Ensemble in a movie. I am asking for Best Director. And certainly I’m asking for Best Film of 2005…from all the various Awards Committees.

Point in case, I think these Awards shows are getting it all wrong again (except the Screen Actors Guild which awarded Crash with its Best Cast award) if they overlook Crash. The best movie of 2005 was indeed Crash, and if you haven’t seen it by now, you oughtta be ashamed of yourself.

So go to Blockbuster tonight, and get Crash. Don’t just rent it, buy it. Watch it once, and then watch it 3 more times. I guarantee that you’ll learn something new from it each time you see it!

Cop the album!

-Maelstrom


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you. You are amazing.
You correctly predicted Pres. Bush announcing the Supreme Court Nominee the Monday after the aid of the Vice-president stepped back. Now you correctly predicted the Winner of the Oscars. There are two possibilities: 1. You have a talent to predict the future. Using your talent for winning the Lotteries is too cheap. Do something big. Change the world. 2. It obviously also could be the case that G.W. Bush and the entire Academy reads your blog.
I put my bet on the latter. Congrats anyhow.

Anonymous said...

allow me to play devil's advocate for a second, but although i think Crash is a great peice of filmmaking, couldn't you argue that today's racism (the topic addressed by Crash) is covert, rather than the overt nature of it that the movie showed. and after saying that, cant you then say that Crash is fighting yesterday's war and not today's battle...im just curious.