Monday, August 08, 2005

I'm Back Again!

Hello to my few but faithful readers. I'd like to say that I'm sorry for the almost month-long hiatus from The Vortex postings, but no need to fear; I haven't stopped writing and I'm back. Well, almost! I have 2 more serious academic hurdles to handle, but they will both be taken care of within the next 48 hrs. Then I'll be back for sure.

I'd like to thank my good friend "GO" for the comments he left at the end of my July 2nd post. I found them both insightful and hilarious. I'd also like to thank my former advisee Sara for her kind comments at the end of my July 13th post. Please do return frequently, and take a gander at some of my past posts. And the anonymous posts are also greatly appreciated.

I know that much has occurred politically since my last post, and maybe I've missed my opportunity to speak on some of those issues. Don't bet on it though, cuz i'll find a way to get back to them. I've got too many half-written blogs to just let all that world-changin' writing go to waste.

And here's just a warning. I plan to completely ignore other relevant issues for the sake of tackling something that I don't think should be an issue with people under the age of 35...but apparently still is, and I'm pissed about it. My next few posts will focus around the ominous specter of RACISM. I can't believe that I would even feel the need to address it in so much detail in the year 2005, but I have to. So in my next few posts, please forgive me as I make like Bubba Sparxx and "get ugly up in here."

In the meantime, I suppose I could drop this celestial nugget of information. I'm sure that many people have heard about Earth's close encounter with Mars. Well, being the amateur stargazer that I am, I can verify that Mars is quite a sight these days. It is even more spectacular than it was 2 summers ago (the closest it had ever been before this year). The planet Venus is normally the first nighttime object visible from my location on the globe (except for the Moon). Well, for about 2 months now, Mars has been shining much brighter than even Venus, and is visible 30 minutes before Venus or any of the stars. It's even present when there is ample sunshine round about it.

Now I've heard rumors that Mars is going to appear as large as the Moon in the night sky. I don't believe that. I think someone misinterpretted what's really gonna take place. Mars is going to appear almost as bright as the Moon on the day that it's the closest to Earth (August 27th). Please believe, if Mars appeared as spatially large as the Moon, I'd be on the edge of the Earth tryin' to long jump from here to there...trust!

If you'd like to see Mars (Venus is up there too), look toward the Western sky at about 9:30pm Eastern Standard Time. It should be the only bright shining object in the sky at about that time. It will appear slightly orange. You should catch it then, but be swift cuz you've only got about a 2 hour window with which to watch it before it descends below the horizon. It is quite the sight.

Also, if you're like me, you'll be on the lookout for shooting stars. Every year during July/August, there is a meteor shower known as the Perseids (I think) that occurs. And even if you miss the peak "shower" time, you can often catch stragglers. Peak days are August 11-13th if you want to maximize your chances of wishing on a star. Oh, and patience is a tool that's worth takin' with ya' while seeking shooting stars.

Alright, I'm goin to bed! Holla atcha boy!

-Maelstrom

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the heads up on the planets and the stars. my dad has a telescope so i used to go out in our backyard in the country back home and watch the stars and planets with him. there's nothing like looking at such things to put us in perspective. i'll be sure to watch for the shower, thnx. i can't wait to read your comments on racism. it's quite the problem, especially these days (contrary to popular belief). and would you write me on the facebook already please?! there are a few things i wanted to tell you... :)
Sara

Anonymous said...

T.O., T.O., T.O,...or Joe Johnson...that's big too. Give the streets what we're looking for, get your mind right and get your weight up. One.