Monday, August 30, 2004

Do You Feel Safer?

As the Republican National Convention gets underway, one theme that they keep trying to promote continues to frustrate me. One of the banners that the Republicans have raised in Madison Square Garden says something to the effect of "A Safer America." Well, I know that I'm not alone when I say this, but I feel 100% less safe on this planet as a US citizen than I did before September 11, 2001. I know that the Republicans have to use this as their main selling point since this Republican President's term has largely been about the so-called "War on Terror," but let's keep it real, we're indeed less safe as a country when it comes to international terrorism plots. Anybody that believes otherwise either hasn't left a cave since September 10, 2001 or is for real smoking the crack rock.

Now I don't intend this particular blog to be a Republican-bashing post, because I'm not about that. However, I have a problem: I have to call a spade a spade (and there appear to be no hearts, clubs or diamonds at the Republicans disposal).

Clearly, worldwide, places that are frequented by travelers from the Western World (especially from the USA) are big targets for terrorists. One would only have to look at the blasts in Bali, Indonesia (at night clubs that were frequented by Westerners) for an example. And did you know that New York City has been on High (Orange) Alert ever since 9/11? So now the city exists under a cloud of fear.

The last time I checked, feeling afraid and feeling safe were on opposite ends of the spectrum. Seems a bit bipolar to me. Then again, I'd expect nothing less from an administration that can tell me to live my life as normal as possible, but that the nation will be on high alert over the holiday weekend, all in one breath.

If we were truly safe, as the Republicans claim, of what value is an alert system and why hasn't it reached the lowest alert level yet? I've often wondered when New York City and the "targeted" Financial Institutions will be taken off of High Alert, and when the USA will be down to a Blue alert as opposed to the Yellow one that we've been on for over two years. Will it be 2 years, 5 years, or when the next major attack occurs?

The thing that I abhor is that there are people who will eat up every word that the Republicans have to say about this country being safe because there is now a Department of Homeland Security (which has been a huge flop to this point) and some colors, stolen from a rainbow, that will let us know when conditions are good or bad. I must admit, though, that it is a great tactic for the Republicans to use probably their weakest selling point as a battle cry. Psychologically, one would probably think that America's Security is in good hands with the Republicans because what kind of political party would try to sell people on a point that they have proved incompetent at?

In the final analysis, if you believe that you are safer today than in years past (despite people literally loosing their heads for being from the United States and others for merely supporting the USA's ill-advised war), then I think you need a heavy dose of prayer. May God have mercy on your soul.

-Maelstrom

No comments: